Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Module 1 Task 1: Telnet


To be honest this week was the first time I had really heard of Telnet let alone attempted to use it. After reading some of the posts in Web CT from other students who had attempted this first I admit to a little hesitancy and fear.Thankfully, I had taken the time to read the notes thoroughly and my first attempt was a successful one. Although Telnet's appearance might be considered very 'old school'(see above), I found it relatively functional. Sure, it wasn't as simple and pretty as today's World Wide Web and I imagine prolonged use would be both time consuming and frustrating but for today's short burst of necessity Telnet behaved just fine. It was also nice to still have the ability to email myself required information. Overall, my first impression of Telnet was a positive one albeit one that reminded me how far technology has progressed and how much I like the simplicity of today's WWW.

I also have to admit that I had a really big giggle at towel.blinkenlights.nl. How much time and effort must have gone onto making that? It kind of brought back memories of my old Atari 2600. So very archaic yet also so very cute.

4 comments:

Peter Fletcher said...

Good looking blog Kim. Love the Telnet screen shot.

Monique said...

Hey Kim
Glad to see i'm not the only one who didn't know what Telnet is before NET11.. I'm am going to tackle it 2mrw & hopefully i don't find it to hard.
Great Blog
:)

Evelyn said...

Hi Kim,
I really like your block, especially your introduction. I can very much sympathise with you when it comes to watching The Night Garden. My two little ones absolutely love it. :-)
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, great blog. You have had so much to contend with and still managed to do the tasks and blog. Good on you! I look forward to reading your blog again. Best wishes, Beverley.