Friday, December 5, 2008

Module 1: Task 3 - Internet Tools


Since I first began learning about the Internet and how it works I have been fascinated by the incredible way that information travels between computers, at speeds beyond belief, in tiny little packets and materialises on the screen in front of me. Accordingly, the traceroute task was one I really enjoyed. Having often wondered about this sort of information but being in total ignorance as to how to find it, I found this task quite exciting.

For this part of the module I used the Central Ops site to trace the route from my computer to the Curtin site. The attached screenshot illustrates that it required 21 'hops' and took 246 milliseconds from the tools site to the Curtin server. Assuming everything was correct and that I looked in the right place, the Curtin IP address is 134.7.179.53.

No comments: